Got Mould? Get Rid of It With These Quick Tips
Mould can wreak havoc in your home if you don't manage it properly. And besides the unpleasant sight it creates, many other reasons make it quite undesirable in the home. For instance, mould can cause respiratory diseases. What's more, spores released by mould can lead to allergic reactions. That's why mould remediation is crucial. However, mould naturally exists almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. For this reason, getting rid of mould completely can be quite a daunting task. Nonetheless, using the right tools and following proper techniques, it's possible to get rid of mould in your home. Here's how you can do it.
Identification and Damage Assessment
Your mould remediation process starts with identifying the mould to identify the extent of infestation and damage. Mould can accumulate anywhere in your home, including the ceilings, walls, bathroom, cellar, etc. Start with a smell test to identify potential mould-infested areas in your home. Generally, mould will give off a strong musty odour that can lead you to the source of the problem. Once you identify the mould, you can do a quick bleach test to determine the kind of mould you have. Mildew mould tends to dissolve on contact with bleach. However, dirt mould won't. These aren't the only types of moulds as you may find white moulds too. Regardless of the mould you are dealing with, it's crucial to be wary as some types are toxic. Therefore, safety precautions and protective gear are necessary.
Safety Precautions and Protection Gear
Before dealing with any type of mould, it's crucial to gear up for the exercise. This is crucial because mould spores can be harmful when inhaled. Skin irritation, wheezing, a stuffy nose and difficulty breathing are some of the symptoms you may experience when dealing with mould. These symptoms will be severe if you are allergic. Therefore, get protective clothing including overalls, rubber gloves, eye protection and recommended face masks. If you are asthmatic, remember to have your medication and take breaks to catch some fresh air. In addition, if you have any pre-existing breathing or lung condition, using masks may result in difficulty breathing so seek medical advice first. Unless you don't have too much mould in your home and you are in a perfectly healthy condition, it would be best to leave mould cleaning to the professionals.
Start with the correct cleaning products. Borax powder, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and vinegar are some of the recommended products for cleaning mould. Use plastic sheeting to seal off your work area to prevent mould spores from spreading throughout your home. When cleaning, avoid dry brushing the mouldy area to keep the brush from flicking mould spores into the air. Also, ensure you have proper ventilation throughout the exercise. If you choose to vacuum the mouldy areas, make sure you use high-efficiency particular air filters, ideal for trapping large amounts of microscopic particles like mould spores.